After the past 48hrs – a whirlwind of projects (I started 4 projects and completed 2) – I thought the best way to start the week would be with a fun and silly post. I’m still waiting for the many coats of polyurethane to dry, and I need to style the newly refreshed spaces.
A while back Kristin over at Bliss at Home shared an article called “So I married a creative,” with a set of 20 questions for her husband to answer about her and the blog. I loved the idea, and had my DH complete his own this past weekend. He is a man of few words when it comes to these things, but I think you get an adorable view of my relationship with the other person in this PMQ.
As an editor’s note, and an addendum to several of the questions below: DH runs his own blog Red Over Blue, so if you (or more likely your DH/SO) are interested in miniature war gaming take a look!
So I married a creative…
1. What is your favourite project Ariel has done and why?
The large outdoor harvest table and benches we built. They transform our outdoor space and can sit a horde of people, perfect for entertaining in our (relatively) sprawling backyard. Also, a lot of TLC went into building them so I expect they will get lots of use for years to come.
2. What is your least favourite project and why?
The chicken plate wall, it’s just a bit silly for my tastes. *they are pretty goofy
3. What is one creative item or tool that Ariel cannot live without?
The interwebz [sic]. Inspiration from the blogosphere is key.
4. What is your biggest pet peeve about Ariel in the real world or the blogging realm?
We each have different working styles. Mine is more deliberate, hers is faster paced. Read:
5. If you could take Ariel on vacation anywhere, where would she want to go?
Paris *I’m assuming he means France, and not his hometown. I need my Macarons fresh and colourful!
6. Ariel finds $100. What does she do with it?
Shopping spree at Homesense. *Absolutely, although I probably have more responsible things I should do with it.
7. What is your favourite room in your house and why?
The sitting room. It’s great to have an area (without a TV) to sit and just relax, read a book, or spend time with friends.
8. Creativity is messy, but for the most part blogs show the pretty picture. Can you tell us how/if Ariel is a secret slob?
We tend to do multiple projects at the same time, as a sort of Blitz. This usually means more mess! In her day to day she’s very organized and clean.
9. Name a project or decorating adventure that you thought would be a flop but turned out fabulous?
Painting the dining and sitting room. I was not 100% sold on the idea of framing the space with painters tape, but in the end it looks fabulous. *he’s referring to our faux-wainscotting.
10. Blogging takes a lot of time. Do you ever pass by Ariel working on the computer and secretly feel neglected?
I can’t really hold any lost attention against her, as I run my own blog which takes a considerable amount of my own time.
11. Before, during, and after photos are a big part of blogging. Do you remember to do that for Ariel when you are working on projects for her?
No, I just tackle the techinical side of things. Photography is not my job.
12. How often do you read Ariel’s blog, and do you have a favorite post?
It shows up in my Facebook feed, but since I am involved in most of the projects I don’t really need to read the blog religiously. *he should though. Tisk tisk!
13. Before changing a piece of furniture, hanging new curtains, or planning a whole room redo, does Ariel consult you or is it already finished by the time you get home?
We prefer if every major project we do is a joint decision. She’ll do small projects on her own, but anything that requires more than a few dollars requires a conversation. *Hence why I do a lot of bargain hunting and DIYing – less to clear with the hubby!
14. Does Ariel discuss her blog with you, stories from other blogs or friendships with other bloggers?
Absolutely. We both run successful blogs and bounce ideas off each other all the time.
15. Where do you think Ariel gets most of her creative inspiration? TV, magazines, online, you, or was she just born that way.
Online I think, but she definitely has an innate sense for style. *Check out my Pinterest to see what inspires me.
16. Do you know what Pantone’s color of the year is, and how do you feel about “girly” colors on your walls?
Huh? *This year’s Pantone colour of the year is Marsala FYI. The “girlyest” we went with colour was the purply/grey in our sitting and dining rooms.
17. If you could change one room or area of your home with no decorating advice from Ariel, what would you choose and why?
My basement, and I already have… *The basement belongs to him…and the cats
18. Are you ever worried that Ariel will share too much personal information or that blogging might invade your private life?
Gosh no. We make a very clear distinction over what information can be published on either of our blogs.
*As a military related blog I respect all rules and guidelines pertaining to OPSEC and PERSEC.
19. Have you ever helped Ariel style photos for the blog or offer input on how you think a vignette should look?
A little bit I suppose…?
20. There is a saying “If these walls could talk…” what would they say about the decorating in your bedroom?
I love it, especially the headboard we made.
What would your husband say if he had to fill out one of these about one of your passions or hobbies?