If you guys have been following me on instagram (and if you don’t, you should @pmqfortwo), you’ll have seen my quick weekend project. It photographed pretty well!
For a while now I’ve been scheming of ways to add some metaphorical and literal lipstick to our buffet. I love what the buffet once offered us, but now that our style has evolved I’m not sure I dig the simple boxy shelf that we got from IKEA. Last summer we added some doors to the bottom rung of the buffet -and that was a game changer – but I knew it needed something else, and I’m not quite at the point where I want to paint it.
Because I’ve been in and out of the Home Depot several times in the past couple of weeks I’ve gotten to be familiar with the stock and aisle numbers. These gorgeous mid century mod furniture feet have been calling their siren call to me for a while now, “Ariel, buy us!… you need us!”
Home Depot has several styles of furniture feet: from the cute tapered ones I bought, to various natural wood feet with metal pivoting heads, or even unfinished bun feet. With different heights and different styles there are quite a few choices! You can get all of them for under 10$, so if you’re looking for a quick project to do, this is for you!
Once I cleared the buffet and gave it a thorough wipe, I flipped it over and got to spacing the top plates. I had thought about starting them further inwards for a classic mid century look, like this one I found on Pinterest. To see how someone else used Home Depot furniture feet on their dresser, check out the PMQ apartment tour for the TV stand in the living room.
I decided to place four of the furniture feet on joints in order to get the added strength and stability. Because this is an IKEA product and not solid wood, I didn’t want to put the furniture feet into hollow particle board and have the whole thing collapse on me.
I used the drill to make pilot holes and then screwed it into place manually. It was quick and easy as far as projects go! Don’t forget to drill a hole for the foot! The foot’s anchor is much longer than the top plate is deep, and it’s meant to be anchored into the furniture.
I added the last two furniture feet to the middle for extra stability, and because I thought they looked good there. I am happy to finally cross this project off my list. I do most of my work from the sitting room, so I tend to stare at all the projects on my list during the week and then try and accomplish them during the weekend. One less thing to look at and think “jeez I should get to that.”
Stay tuned for some glamour shots and an update in the house tour!